Kebab Bistro Authentic Parsi Food in Dubai
– Kebab Bistro serves authentic and tasty Parsi food in a tiny microcosm of a neighbourhood just behind the main post office in Al Wasl road in Dubai. It’s not somewhere you would come across as you were doing your errands or walking around, you have to look for it but it’s worth seeking out.
What did DoinDubai like about Kebab Bistro?
- The outdoor seating area in a QUIET road with potted plants and greenery for decoration. Don’t think The Farm in Al Barari, more simple Greek Taverna on peaceful holiday island
- The food – Kebab Bistro specializes in Parsi cuisine – food that is typical of an ethnic group who originated in Iran but settled in large numbers in Bombay, and their dishes are tasty, different from typical Indian cuisine and well worth trying out.
I would recommend the spiced minced lamb cutlets Parsi style and sizzling kebabs either chicken or lamb. Another authentic Bombay dish from the chaat menu is a dahi papdi chaat – a savoury cold dish made with yoghurt and tamarind sauce and crunchy pastry shells stuffed with delicate, crispy Bombay mix type ingredients. One was enough to share between two people.
The Parsis have adopted a particular Britishness to their cooking (so you get dishes such as cutlets for mains and custards for pudding) but incorporated the spices of Iran and India for amazing results. Their custard pudding was better than I have eaten in many fancier restaurants and was more like a rich crème brulee than custard – again we shared one between two.
And to drink ? Try the recommended fresh sugar cane juice that I thought went down easier diluted with water than on it’s own, another very Bombay seaside offering.
And to top things off, service was excellent and prices very reasonable.
Where is Kebab Bistro located?
If you’re coming from Burj Al Arab side then take a right just before the main Post Office on Al Wasl road, just after the Emarat petrol pump (quite far down, well past Safa Park), take the first right again and go down the road till you see the Kardouche bakery. Park anywhere here, then walk down the alley with the picture of the Mona Lisa ! Kebab Bistro is at the end. It’s actually on Road 6A. Their website has quite a good map.
Tel: 04 349 3934
Tel: 04 349 3936
What’s the deal at Kebab Bistro?
Kebab Bistro has kindly offered DoinDubai subscribers a Delicious Deal:
All subscribers to DoinDubai get:
- a FREE item of their choice from the Chaat menu (typical savoury streetfood snacks) when they order any main course
- AND the chance to win 2 prizes of a traditional Parsi buffet lunch for 2 !
DoinDubai visited in the evening on a Friday, it was busy but certainly not overfull, you may have to wait for a table as seating area is limited. This is not a fine dining, hotel type restaurant but one of those refreshingly simple authentic cafes where you would feel very comfortable with your family.
They cater for parties of more than 10 people and also do home delivery, apparently also to the Ranches, but this hasn’t been tested as yet ! They are open from 11 am to 11pm.
And please do share on Facebook, I’m sure your friends would love to know..Thanks Monica.
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW OVER (but you still get the free chaat when ordering a main course, just take the latest edition of the DoinDubai NEWSLETTER or show them the NEWSLETTER on your phone!)
Just make sure you are a subscriber to DoinDubai, and tell me the name of the now deceased Parsi lead singer of a famous British rock group. There’s a couple of clues in the following sentence:
Enjoy the Bohemian atmosphere of the restaurant, you’ll love the Killer Kebabs, and fresh juice, Guaranteed to blow your mind !
And if you want to read a great book by a favourite Parsi author of mine try Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry.
- Mr Todiwala’s brand new book: Bombay, or bust? (culinaryadventuresofthespicescribe.wordpress.com)
- While there’s still time (thehindu.com)