- What is Chawlas Punjabi Food all about
- Where is Chawlas2 located
- What sort of food to expect at Chawlas2
- What to drink at Chawlas2
- In a ideal world
- Proof of authenticity to be seen at Chawlas2 Punjabi Food restaurant
- Contact Details for Chawlas2
- But don’t take just my word for it, here are some other bloggers views for you to digest before you decide to dine here!
- Want to try Chawlas Punjabi food with a friend?
- Enter the Competition to Win a complementary meal for 2
- 2nd MAY 2016 This competition is now closed and the winners are:
- Want to DOUBLE your chances of winning a complementary meal ?
- Enter to win a complementary meal for two at Chawlas2
What is Chawlas Punjabi Food all about
Chawlas Punjabi food is authentic, tasty and brought to you straight from the Punjab.
The restaurant is actually called Chawlas2, the 2 stands for square. Originally a family run operation that started in Ludhiana in the Punjab, the first and only dish was cream chicken! Sold direct from the family home with no frills attached, people had to bring their own dishes to take it away in!
But that was back in 1960, things have moved on since then and the Chawla family have diversified with other Punjabi dishes and many more restaurants. Now they own 3 restaurants in Ludhiana with many more franchised. The one we went to is Dubai’s first but I don’t think it’ll be it’s last!
Where is Chawlas2 located
Chawlas2 is located in the JLT area of Dubai in Cluster M. Look for the Zoom supermarket as a landmark and then go down the spiral staircase, you can’t miss it. It’s directly opposite the lake.
What sort of food to expect at Chawlas2
Authentic, home style, Punjabi food, so that’s Northern Indian heartland food. Rich, verdant farmland provides hearty, wholesome food with an emphasis on paneer and creamy Kheers.
There is ample choice for vegetarians and non vegetarians but it really does help if you like your chicken as there are many chicken preparations on the menu. I liked and recommend the Chicken Peshawari, tikka style tender pieces of chicken cooked in a traditional tandoor.
I also LOVED the fish curry, the very recognizable tomato based gravy had just the right amount of spice to it, was thick and wholesome. Despite it being King Fish, it didn’t taste fishy at all, it was perfectly filleted and fresh.
The paneer tikka was also very good as the paneer itself is made in the traditional way, hung in a muslin cloth, but I would have liked a little more spice to this starter.
The other key recommendation is the onion kulcha bread. They serve a bread basket that has a variety of rotis, gram flour rotis (missi roti) roomali and parathas for a very underpriced AED 18. But trade up and order the onion kulcha for AED 10.
What to drink at Chawlas2
You could try their lassi, either salty or sweet, but at the moment a whole glass of this elixir may not leave you room for much else. I drank water but my companions raved about their lassi’s.
In a ideal world
I’d love there to be a Gaggia coffee machine on the counter as a perfect ending to quite a rich meal! Maybe one day soon? But for the moment try some of the very good, but rich, not too sweet kheer kesri dessert at AED 13 a portion.
Proof of authenticity to be seen at Chawlas2 Punjabi Food restaurant
Contact Details for Chawlas2
It’s open from 12 mid day till 12pm at night and does have some outside seating in front of the lake. Inside it has capacity for around 25 or so diners. They also cater for home parties.
Prices are reasonable and portions are good. Expect to pay AED 31 for a plate of Peshawari Chicken tikka .
Tel: 04 514 9271
But don’t take just my word for it, here are some other bloggers views for you to digest before you decide to dine here!
Want to try Chawlas Punjabi food with a friend?
Then we can help…
Enter the Competition to Win a complementary meal for 2
2nd MAY 2016 This competition is now closed and the winners are:
Emma Carrington and Oman Sabu! An email with your vouchers on it’s way to you as we speak! Well Done and thanks for being loyal subscribers to DoinDubai!
DoinDubai will randomly choose 2 SUBSCRIBERS to win a complementary meal for themselves and a friend
- Enter your answer to this question into the comment box at the end of the post.
Which cluster of JLT is Chawlas2 located in?
- Pressing the pink button below will subscribe you to the DoinDubai Newsletter at the same time. DoinDubai SUBSCRIBERS who are already registered STILL have to go through the process to enter the competition. Don’t worry you will not have mulitple subscriptions, it just helps us to have all the entries for this competition in one file.
- Once you click on the ‘WIN’ button below. Please complete your entry by opening the confirmation email to confirm your subscription has been added to the WIN a meal competition list
Want to DOUBLE your chances of winning a complementary meal ?
Then LIKE the DoinDubai Facebook page and share this post on FACEBOOK or TWITTER
Enter to win a complementary meal for two at Chawlas2
Competition closes on the 30th of April 2016
Click this button now
Just for fun, this is our QR code to enter the competition.